German Mom

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Goodbye to a Friend

Last night, we decided to drive up to Frieburg which is about 45 minutes from our home. It is the largest City in the Black Forest Region. There we can find a Starbucks, several Subway Sandwhich resturants, a Burger King ( which now will give you one free drink refill!!) a Toys R Us and Wal Mart. We went specifically to shop at Wal Mart to find a dishwasher. I have been living a year without the luxury of having a dishwasher- my poor dish pan hands! This was going to be my mother's day gift. As we drove into the parking lot and saw the normally full lot of cars and people streaming in nothing seemed out of the usual. Once we stepped inside, however, we noticed that the store was about to close down for good! We all went into immediate depression and quickly scanned for any last remnants of seven years of familiarity to us. I went to the loan aisle of "American foods" and grabbed the last box of bisquick off the shelf. Jeff ran upstairs to the appliances to search for the dishwasher- non anywhere. We spent the next 40 minutes roaming around in a fog knowing that this was our last time in a Wal Mart until we went back to the States in a year. I know for many of you, you are thinking big fat deal. For us it is! This was the only small connection that we had to something familiar to home for seven years and it was suddenly taken away from us. As we left the store I did something that caused all of my family members to forsake me until we were in the car. I stopped turned around and loudly said to everyone- "Goodbye Wal Mart, see you in America!"
Now, we really have no big draw to go to Frieburg no great excursions to get some fun products from "home" . Now we feel like we are in a foreign Country and it never gets easy to deal with.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I will miss it too when we come over in the Fall. The short time we were there I enjoyed driving to Frieberg and seeing a little bit of America,too. Especially the American grocery isle. Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home